Police have released the names of the 18 victims fatally shot on Wednesday, the deadliest US mass shooting this year.
A grandfather and avid bowler, and four members of Maine’s deaf community, are among the dead.
Those killed in the attack ranged in age from 14 to 76.
The suspected gunman injured an additional 13 more people during the attack, which happened at a local bar and a bowling alley in Lewiston.
A manhunt for the suspect is now in its third day.
Police have described an “around-the-clock” effort to locate 40-year-old Robert Card, the suspect, and have urged caution for communities while he remains on the loose.
A number of communities, including Lisbon and Lewiston, have been under shelter in place orders since Thursday, but those orders are now being rescinded.
Michael Sauschuck, Maine’s public safety commissioner, said on Friday evening that businesses can either remain closed or re-open.
However, hunting remains prohibited in the towns of Bowdoin, Lewiston, Lisbon, and Monmouth to prevent gun shots being heard that would prompt calls to emergency services, he said.
A search of the Androscoggin River will continue until sunset and will resume on Saturday, when additional dive resources will be brought in.
That search will be “time intensive”, he said during a update on the investigation.
Authorities had found the suspect’s white Subaru Outback at a boat ramp in Lisbon, beside the river. They said that they found additional evidence in the car but did not provide specific details.
On Friday, a utility was using its dams to lower the water level in the area to help investigators. Helicopters flew over the river to help direct divers as they searched the water.
Neighbourhood canvassing efforts are also scheduled to take place in the coming days, Mr Sauschuck said.
That “could be a couple of officers knocking on the door” or “two officers with clearly displayed badges jumping out of a marked car to come talk to you as detectives”.
“We are going to have feelers out in all directions,” he added.
Law enforcement in Maine have consistently called upon the public for help to locate the suspect. They have also urged for patience from residents as the search continues.
So far, they have received over 530 tips and leads, but have not given any indication that they have uncovered a solid lead in the manhunt.
They did reveal on Friday morning, however, that a note had been found at a property linked to the suspect.Two unnamed law enforcement officials told the Associated Press it was a suicide note that did not provide any specific motive for the shooting. It was addressed to his son. The suspect’s mobile phone was also discovered at the property.
Investigators would not confirm that information and declined to elaborate on the note’s contents.
EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email [email protected] Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel