Business

Daily Spotlight: Demand Shifts for U.S. Debt

Spread the love

Summary

Several factors have conspired in recent weeks to send U.S. Treasury rates sharply higher. These include the Fed’s program to reduce Treasury holdings by allowing them to mature; soaring fiscal deficits in Washington and a missing-in-action Congress; the downgrade of U.S. Treasury debt by Fitch Investor Services; and high-profile buys and sells by foreign owners of Treasury debt. Total Public Debt owed by the U.S. federal government was $32.3 trillion at the end of 2Q23. Outside the U.S., the two largest holders of U.S. Public Debt are Japan, which owns 3.5%, and China, which owns 2.5%. Other nations among the top 10 holders own 9.0% of the debt, so the top 10 holders collectively own about 15%. The grand total of U.S. debt owned by foreign holders is $7.7 trillion, or about 24% of the total. While the absolute holdings level is up about 3.0% over the past year, we have seen pronounced shifts among the major holders. Japan’s bondholders historically have been long-term in nature, attracted to Treasuries while their local sovereign bond yields have been near zero for years. A recent rate hike in Japan, though, has led to the repatriation of approximately $80 billion out of Treasuries and into local sovereign securities in the past year. China has also been selling, in part for political reasons. China’s current Treasury holdings are lower by about $135 billion over the past year. But while some nations have reduced exposure, others have increased it. Canada has increased its holdings by 17% and the U.K.’s holdings are up 8% in the past year. We think this type of global demand for U.S. Treasuries should help keep a lid on long-term rates in 2024.

Subscribe to Yahoo Finance Plus Essential for full access

Exclusive reports, detailed company profiles, and best-in-class trade insights to take your portfolio to the next level

EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email [email protected] Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel210520-twitter-verified-cs-70cdee.jpg (1500×750)

Support Independent Journalism with a donation (Paypal, BTC, USDT, ETH)
Avatar

News Agencies

About Author

The latest news from the News Agencies

You may also like

exotic expansion llc best stock picking services
Business

Exotic Expansion LLC: Is it one of few Best Stock Picking Services?

Spread the loveExotic Expansion LLC: You may have wondered once in a life that if you had someone who can
investing in cryptocurrencies
Business

Are you investing in cryptocurrencies? 4 important points before you invest

Spread the loveInvesting in cryptocurrencies Driven by financial backers’ energy, the cryptographic money market as of late crossed the $3