133 views 3 mins 0 comments

Dine-and-dash family ‘visited by police’

In Europe
April 23, 2024

Police have visited a family at the centre of a dine-and-dash scandal, a restaurant owner allegedly targeted in the string of incidents has claimed.

On Monday police confirmed an investigation had been launched after businesses claimed one group of people had been racking up large food and drink bills and leaving without paying.

Tyrone Reese, who co-owns the newly opened Bella Ciao Italian restaurant in Port Talbot, near Swansea, claimed officers had visited the dine-and-dashers at their address.

Speaking on BBC Radio 2’s Jeremy Vine show on Monday, he said: “We know who they are, where they live and everything about them.”

He added: “I believe police have been to the address, and have contacted us this morning to say they were going to take the matters further.”

Tyrone Reese, the co-owner of Bella Ciao, said he 'didn't believe in blurring out' the faces of the adults involved

Tyrone Reese, the co-owner of Bella Ciao, said he ‘didn’t believe in blurring out’ the faces of the adults involved – Emily Hall/Triangle News

Mr Reese said that after sharing pictures of the four adults in the family on social media other restaurants had come forward to say they had been targeted by the same people.

He said: “We put the pictures of the family on Facebook and we have had so many people contact us, other restaurant owners who have been affected by the same family.”

Leaving a restaurant without paying is a crime and carries a prison sentence of up to two years.

Some restaurants ‘swept it under the carpet’

Mr Reese, who reported the incident to police, told the radio programme: “Some restaurants have reported it and others have swept it under the carpet.

“We’ve been affected by the same family.”

He added: “I didn’t believe in blurring out their faces on Facebook. If they come into our restaurant and are willing to do this, why should I blur their faces, but we used pictures of the youngest children with their heads turned.”

The couple ordered expensive steaks, double desserts and 15 bottles of fizzy drinks and later left without paying, it is claimed.

They have allegedly targeted a string of restaurants in the past year with at least seven claiming to have been stung.

South Wales Police was contacted for comment.

On Monday, a spokesman said: “Investigations are ongoing to establish the full circumstances behind the incidents and to identify those involved.”

EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email news@emeatribune.com Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel210520-twitter-verified-cs-70cdee.jpg (1500×750)

Support Independent Journalism with a donation (Paypal, BTC, USDT, ETH)
whatsapp channel
Avatar
/ Published posts: 30762

The latest news from the News Agencies