World

Kyiv says Russian Black Sea Fleet commander killed; no comment by Moscow

Spread the love

KYIV – Ukraine’s Special Forces said on Monday that Admiral Viktor Sokolov, the commander of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, was killed in a Ukrainian attack last week on the fleet’s headquarters in the Crimean port of Sevastopol.

The Russian Defence Ministry did not immediately respond when asked by Reuters to confirm or deny that Adm Sokolov was killed in the attack on Crimea, which Russia seized and annexed in 2014.

The Ukrainian military said Friday’s attack targeted a meeting of the Russian Navy’s leadership in Sevastopol.

“After the strike on the headquarters of the Russian Black Sea Fleet, 34 officers died, including the commander of the Russian Black Sea Fleet. Another 105 occupiers were wounded. The headquarters building cannot be restored,” the Special Forces said on the Telegram messaging app.

It was not immediately clear how the Special Forces counted the dead and wounded in the attack.

Each side has, at times, exaggerated enemy losses since Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine 19 months ago and each says little about its own losses.

Russian-installed officials confirmed the Ukrainian attack on Friday, saying at least one missile struck the fleet’s headquarters.

Kyiv has stepped up attacks in the Black Sea and Crimea, as Ukrainian forces press on with a nearly four-month-old counteroffensive to take back Russian-occupied territory. REUTERS

EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email [email protected] Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel210520-twitter-verified-cs-70cdee.jpg (1500×750)

Support Independent Journalism with a donation (Paypal, BTC, USDT, ETH)
Avatar

News Agencies

About Author

The latest news from the News Agencies

You may also like

Saudi Arabia imposes curfew
World

Saudi Arabia imposes curfew due to coronavirus in Makkah and Madina

Spread the loveSaudi Arabia’s government has decided to impose a 24-hour curfew in Makkah and Madina while tightening precautionary measures
saudi royal family
World

Dozens of Saudi royal family infected with coronavirus: report

Spread the loveRiyadh: 150 members of the Saudi royal family have been diagnosed with Coronavirus.   According to a US