46 views 57 secs 0 comments

South Korea suspends military agreement with North Korea

In World
June 04, 2024

South Korea’s government has approved the suspension of an agreement with North Korea on détente measures, clearing the way for the resumption of all military activities along the heavily fortified border between the two countries.

All activities of its armed forces along the military demarcation line and on the north-western islands, which were restricted by the 2018 military agreement, would resume, Vice Defence Minister Cho Chang Rae said in Seoul on Tuesday.

The Cabinet and President Yoon Suk Yeol previously approved a motion to temporarily lift the agreement.

In September 2018, the two sides agreed a series of measures as part of a temporary rapprochement aimed at avoiding incidents along the heavily defended border.

There have been increasing tensions on the Korean peninsula over the past few months. South Korea recently warned North Korea of harsh countermeasures after balloons carrying refuse were sent over the border.

South Korea’s military also accused its neighbour of jamming the GPS satellite navigation system in the border region.

Pyongyang described its balloons as a response to propaganda flyers sent over the border by South Korean organizations. It said on Sunday that it planned to halt the balloon campaign temporarily.

EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email news@emeatribune.com Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel210520-twitter-verified-cs-70cdee.jpg (1500×750)

Support Independent Journalism with a donation (Paypal, BTC, USDT, ETH)
whatsapp channel
Avatar
/ Published posts: 34085

The latest news from the News Agencies