More than 70 still missing, hundreds cut off from aid after deadly Japan quake

Thousands of Japanese rescuers on Thursday battled rubble and blocked roads as hopes faded for dozens listed as missing three days after a devastating earthquake that killed at least 81.

Issued on: Modified:

3 min

Advertising

As the frantic search for survivors continues, more than a dozen communities remained isolated by landslides and blocked roads in central Japan, where the 7.5-magnitude quake struck on Monday.

The powerful main tremor, followed by hundreds of aftershocks, injured at least 330 people, local authorities said.

Authorities published a list on Thursday of 79 people whose whereabouts were unknown.

“This is the worst catastrophe” in the current Reiwa era in the Japanese calendar, which began in 2019 when the current emperor ascended the throne, Prime Minister Fumio Kishida said. 

“Access to this area was extremely difficult, partly due to the geographical constraints of the affected area being a peninsula, and partly due to the intermittent occurrence of major quakes,” he said.

 “The situation remains difficult, but we will continue to do our utmost to support the victims.” 

Further scenes of destruction were seen by AFP in the coastal town of Anamizu, including cars crushed under crumbling concrete and whole facades torn off three-storey structures.

Thousands of soldiers, firefighters and police officers from across Japan combed through the rubble of collapsed wooden houses and toppled commercial buildings for signs of life.

Around 29,000 households were without electricity in Ishikawa prefecture on the Sea of Japan coast, and more than 110,000 homes across Ishikawa and two neighbouring regions had no water.

Cars were crushed under crumbling concrete
Cars were crushed under crumbling concrete. © Toshifumi Kitamura, AFP

Access was blocked to small communities in the hardest-hit Noto Peninsula region – with 300 people desperately waiting for aid at a school in the town of Ooya in the Suzu area.

“Even if I give my food to my children, it is not enough at all. I have eaten almost nothing for the past two days,” a woman in her 30s with three children in Suzu told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

‘Critical’ 72 hours

In the city of Nanao, police managing traffic told drivers that one of the main roads leading to Wajima – where a huge fire razed a whole area of traditional wooden houses – had been prioritised for emergency vehicles.

“Either reconsider carrying on, or risk facing a huge traffic jam ahead,” an officer was heard warning drivers, approaching them one by one.

At a nearby gas station, a long queue of cars was waiting outside for it to open as the clock ticked past 8 am.

Although there were no fuel shortages at the station for now, workers there told AFP they were rationing gas nonetheless.

Thousands of soldiers, firefighters and police officers from across Japan are combing through rubble and providing aid to survivors
Thousands of soldiers, firefighters and police officers from across Japan are combing through rubble and providing aid to survivors. © STR / JIJI Press / AFP

Monday’s main shockwave triggered tsunami waves at least 1.2 metres (four feet) high in Wajima, and a series of smaller tsunamis were reported elsewhere.

Broadcaster NHK reported that one person was swept away by the tsunami in Noto’s Suzu area, with the coast guard investigating.

Japan experiences hundreds of earthquakes every year and most cause no damage, with strict building codes in place for more than four decades.

Broadcaster NHK reported that one person was swept away by the tsunami in the Suzu area of Noto
Broadcaster NHK reported that one person was swept away by a tsunami in the Suzu area of Noto. © STR / JIJI Press / AFP

Earthquakes have hit the Noto region with intensifying strength and frequency over the past five years.

The country is haunted by a massive 9.0-magnitude undersea quake in 2011, which triggered a tsunami that left around 18,500 people dead or missing.

It also swamped the Fukushima atomic plant, causing one of the worst nuclear disasters in history.

(FRANCE 24 with AFP)

EMEA Tribune is not involved in this news article, it is taken from our partners and or from the News Agencies. Copyright and Credit go to the News Agencies, email [email protected] Follow our WhatsApp verified Channel210520-twitter-verified-cs-70cdee.jpg (1500×750)

Support Independent Journalism with a donation (Paypal, BTC, USDT, ETH)